Public Evangelism Resources
A Conspiracy in North America
By José Cortes, Jr.
What if our Adventist Churches across North America began a conspiracy? What if we decided in harmony with all the other churches across Bermuda, Canada, United States and the islands of Guam and Micronesia that we are going to love our cities like Jesus did? What do you think would happen if we ventured outside the walls of our churches, asked people about their needs, and did something transformational for individuals and communities?
What if our local churches conspired together to do the following?
- Respond to disasters in the community (fires, earthquakes, storms, tornados).
- Feed the hungry.
- Clothe the naked.
- Mentor children after school.
- Minister to prisoners, and also minister to their families.
- Visit and pray for the sick in the community regularly.
- Offer FREE Marital Counseling (married couples) and FREE Pre-Marital Counseling (engaged couples).
- Offer FREE Parenting Classes for parents.
- Donate space, FREE of charge, for community weddings and funerals.
- Advertise the Services of the local Adventist Pastor to conduct Weddings, Dedications of Babies, and Funerals, FREE of charge for the church’s community.
- Provide manicures and pedicures for battered women
- Celebrate communion with the homeless and bring them in when it is cold.
- Lead Toy Drives during Christmas.
- Stand against modern Slavery and the abuse of women, children and the elderly (not a silent church).
- Teach FREE Financial Management Classes (How to budget? How to buy a house? How to become debt-free? Financial Freedom, Income Taxes)
- Hold FREE Fitness classes.
- Connect with governmental leaders and work with them to support good causes regardless of their party affiliation.
- Hold a reception for community business owners and pray for their success.
- Promote and facilitate the adoption of children.
- Co-sponsor and organize concerts with well known musicians in some of our very beautiful, historic, landmark buildings, rather than having these buildings closed to the public most of the time.
- Organize and sponsor celebrations during special days and recognized holidays such as: New Year’s, Superbowl, Valentine’s, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and others.
- Partner with the city and other organizations to serve as volunteers in events such as: marathons, fairs, festivals, and others.
What would happen with our churches if we would venture to open our doors more often, rather than just Saturdays, for a few hours, and Wednesdays for an hour? After all some other churches who don’t have the beautiful and powerful message we have, keep their doors open all the time. What if we dared to distribute flyers in our communities, not with beasts on the cover, but offering the few services mentioned above and many others? What if we did this, not just for a day, or for a season right before the evangelistic meetings, but on a regular basis as a lifestyle? What do you think would happen?
1. A Relevant Church is never empty. Jesus was surrounded by people constantly, He did not preach to empty pews, there is a reason why He always had a crowd.
2. A Relevant Church reaches and reclaims its community. Jesus did that on a regular basis. He went to the synagogue, sat and read, and then went out to reach and reclaim His community.
3. A Relevant Church retains its members. When a community of people are active and happy doing something good, which they enjoy, they don’t leave; the total opposite happens, more people come, youth, young adults, adults, and children, believe me it can be viral. Jesus went viral, and that’s why our church is here today because of what He did.
It’s time for a Conspiracy of Compassion in our Adventist Churches in North America!
Pastor Jose Cortes Jr., is an Associate Ministerial Director and Leads Evangelism for the Adventist Church in North America.
- Compassion Boston - A Historic Evangelistic Journey in the Northeast
- Different at the Expense of God’s Love?
- A Lifestyle of Compassion is Real Evangelism by Jose Cortes Jr.
- Truth that is not Afraid of Innovation!
- Season Of Service, Fueled by Compassion by Roger Hernandez
- A Movement Must Have Momentum
- Offertory Reading Appeal for April 30, 2016
- Day of Hope & Compassion - Columbia, MD Projects Signup Form
- A Grand Collaboration of Effort and Spirit for Mission
- Rules for the Digital Road
- Compassion 10Million
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - January 29, 2016
- Some of Our Churches Are Dying, Why Plant More?
- The Story of The Grace Place
- Compassion and the Christmas Season
- Plant 1000 - #plant1000
- Day of Hope & Compassion - #dayofhope #compassion10m
- Compassion 10 Million - #compassion10m
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - Special Year End Meetings 2015 Edition (Initiatives & Funding)
- A Turning Point in Adventist Evangelism in North America
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - September 30, 2015
- My Visit with a Homeless Pastor
- Seven Days Without - Episode #1
- Seven Days Homeless Video Report
- Seven Days Without - Episode #2
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - August 21, 2015
- Evangelism Shark Tank Update #1 - Pastor Mike Dauncey, Aldergrove Adventist Church, British Columbia Conference, Canada
- A Conspiracy in North America (Part 2)
- Is Your Church Visitor Friendly?
- A Conspiracy in North America
- Two $50,000.00 Grants for Transformational Evangelism Distributed
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - July 23, 2015
- Compassion Boston—10,000 Meals
- Evangelism Shark Tank - Over $120,000.00 Given Out for Innovative Evangelism Initiatives
- Young Adults & College Students ONLY - COMPASSION Austin - Tuesday, June 30, 2015 (8:30 AM - 12:30 PM)
- Evangelism Shark Tank Finalists
- Get Out and Venture Outside the Walls
- Memorial Day Message
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - May 21, 2015
- Planting More SEEDS
- Who Can the Church Love?
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - April 24, 2015
- Global Mission Report: $360,000.00 Distributed Among 50 New Church Plants
- What is Your Church Doing For Community Mothers on Mother's Day Weekend
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - March 18, 2015
- More Compassion in San Antonio by Armando Miranda Jr.
- A Miracle in the Making
- Forever Relevant
- Seven Days of Miracles
- The First Thing You Do at a New Church
- Current Experiences in Personal Evangelism
- Answering the Ultimate Question
- Fishing with Crickets
- NY13 Begins Health Outreach with Let's Move Day
- In Behalf of Some of Us
- Finding Christ in Sin City
- North American Evangelism: Important Information