Ministerial Spouses Association
Ministerial Spouse Leaders Toolkit
Linnea Torkelsen, serves as the Ministerial Spouse leader of the North Pacific Union Conference. She is a registered nurse and also has a degree in elementary education and until very recently served as the Alumni and Development Director of Upper Columbia Academy in Spangle, Washington. Linnea looks forward to spending more time with the families of her two daughters in the near future.
I Simply Remember My Favorite Things … (pdf)
It's been 50 years since I first saw The Sound of Music as a teenager. The Austrian scenery was spectacular, the actors, I thought, were wonderful, but it was the music that stuck in my head. I find myself humming, "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. . ." as I am cleaning out my office for the last time—retirement is here.
In sorting through files, I'm finding reminders of experiences and special people and miracles that have touched my life during the last two decades of working at Upper Columbia Academy (UCA) as the Alumni and Development Director. A letter from an alumnus: This letter explained that she had been a farm girl coming to this rural Adventist boarding school. She was so hungry for a real chicken dinner that she stole one from the school flock, cooked it, and ate it, and she'd felt bad for decades. She sent a donation to "pay for it."
I thanked the Lord for the opportunity to write her a thank you note and to remind her that forgiveness is a gift of God that we all need.
Notes on a phone call: I hoped this alumnus might become a donor to help renovate the old Power House on campus into a center for student spiritual life. After answering questions, I asked him to give a substantial gift. I will not soon forget his response. "You're not asking for enough. You need to think bigger!" He sent way more than I had hoped for!
As a new fundraiser, I learned that our God is not limited by our timid minds, AND He delights in providing for our needs beyond what we ask or think.
The graduation program from 1997: What a wonderful story! I had learned of two elderly alumni, and they were sisters, who had not been able to participate in a graduation. They both had chickenpox on the day of their eighth grade graduation, and their Academy Commencement was cancelled because a classmate was killed in a car accident on the last day of school. The administration just mailed the diplomas to them.
When our seniors heard the story, they invited the sisters, now close to 80, to graduate with them at UCA. After the senior class marched in, the president and vice president—both handsome young men—walked back out and proudly escorted the two ladies, dressed in caps and gowns, up the aisle to their own march of "Pomp & Circumstance." The audience responded with a standing ovation! What delight that class generated by their spirit of unselfish generosity.
I learned that old disappointments and hurts can be healed—even decades later, with a little bit of love and creativity. I have had the opportunity to be on the front lines of Adventist education, to watch the Lord's hand on His campus. This has been a ministry I would have never imagined could be mine. I am going to miss it terribly! The school may be $12 million dollars better off, but I think I got the best end of the deal. "I simply remember my favorite things... and then I don't feel, so bad!"
- Building a Team
- Director's Introduction Letter
- Forsaken by Parents but Taken in By God
- Ministerial Spouses Keep it Real Responses
- NAD Mission, Vision, Values and Objectives
- Questions for a pastor’s spouse …
- Only by Love
- Delighting in God
- Enjoying the Closeness of God
- God, Show Me How to Love You
- Resources for Parents re Education
- When Loss is Gain
- On the Ministerial Spouse Journey
- Identifying Your Place as a Minister's Spouse
- Married to a Minister
- Coaches Training for Pastors' Spouses - Florida Conference
- Public Speaking Tips
- Understanding Your Brothers and Sisters-First Nations People
- Domestic Violence: What Church Leaders Should Know
- Reasons For Domestic Violence & Why it Continues
- How to Resolve Marital Conflict
- When Should You Refer?
- Ministering to Male Ministerial Spouses
- Congregational Expectations of a Male Ministerial Spouse
- On the Move for Jesus!
- Holiday Outreach Ideas
- Planning a Mission Trip
- Southern Union MS Advisory Ministers in Guam
- Spiritual Gifts & Evangelism preparation
- Transformational Evangelism handouts
- The Time is Now!
- Mentoring for PKs
- Impacting Your Community with a Prayer Breakfast
- Like Little Children: Assisting Children to Pray
- Pray One Million
- Planning a Retreat for Pastors' Spouses
- Report of Asian Ministries
- Spouses' Meeting Ideas
- My Life in Savoonga
- The Benefits of Team Ministry
- Together for a Purpose - Finding a Shared Ministry
- Introduction Letter
- Re-Organizing Your Priorities
- Ways to Include the Family in Ministry
- 10 Commandments of Christian Finance
- Impact of Adventist Education on Ministerial Families
- Connecting through Social Media
- Hospitality: what I didn't learn from Martha
- Financial Infidelity
- Financial Makeover
- A Sermon in Shoes
- Divinely Favored
- Forsaken by Parents but Taken in By God
- Grace in Living Color
- Hello, My Name Is…"Oh, You're Dave's Wife"
- I Simply Remember My Favorite Things ….
- My Faithful God
- Stumbling Through Life
- The Other Side of Stewardship - Delayed Blessings
- First Things First
- Complain and Blame or Pray and Praise?
- Four Quaker Questions
- Receiving with Grace
- The Unique You
- The Joy of Waiting
- The Secret to Satisfaction
- When God Becomes Vulnerable
- Balancing Church and Family
- The Attitude of Gratitude
- In Times of Loss: Surviving Spousal Benefits
- Boost Your Body, Brain, and Mood
- Embracing Courage
- Emotional Intelligence A Biblical Understanding
- Lessons from Peanut
- The Power You Have
- Pastoral Burnout
- 7 Steps for Maintaining an Exercise Routine
- Asian/Pacific Ministry Reports
- Facilitating Small Group Discussion
- A Safe Church for our Children
- Helping Troubled Members
- Every Church A House of Prayer!
- Getting Started
- Befriending Clergy Spouses of Other Faith Communities
- NAD Ministerial Spouses Association Overview
- Building Your Team