Ministerial Spouses Association
Fresh Strength Newsletter
Friends and Fellowship
Lake Union Conference Presidents Cabinet and Spouses Retreat
In January 2013, the Lake Union Conference Presidents Cabinet and Spouses Retreat was held in Captiva, Fla. It was four days of fun, fellowship and spiritual renewal. Our special guests were Alex Bryant, executive secretary of the North American Division, and his wife, Desiree Bryant, associate superintendent of education for the Potomac Conference. We worshiped together as couples, and then we separated providing time for the wives to spend time to together.
Desiree shared the “yarn web” activity with us (photo, right). You can use the activity to share prayer requests, stresses in your life, appreciations, etc. Our group expressed something that “bugged” us, and then we tossed the yarn ball from one to another across the circle, sharing our thoughts. Then we tossed it in reverse, and we prayed for one another and gave encouragement or advice on how we can deal with those feelings as we untangled the web.
Saturday night we played group games, led by Linda Gallimore of the Michigan Conference. We played such games as "What’s Your Line,” "Name Boggle” and "Geography." You can tell by the picture (left) that there was a lot of fun and laughter. The men were on one team, and the ladies on the other. Overall, the greater number of points went to the ladies.
On Sunday, Rose Anne Grove led us in a craft activity (lower right). She is registrar for the Lake Union Conference and the spouse of Rodney Grove, executive secretary of the Lake Union Conference. We created shadowboxes as a memory of our time together. Gifts were given; but instead of just regular gift bags, they were in darling, handmade paper “purses,” also created by Rose Anne.
We have begun prayer journals for each other. Donna Jackson modeled this at a previous meeting, and we have taken that idea and are doing it for our team. We are devoting a page for each of us and our families, including our children and grandchildren. Just knowing we have each other in prayer is so encouraging.
Alex shared with us about the character and attributes of Christ as a leader, from Philippians 2:1–11 and The Desire of Ages. "Each of you should look not only to your own interest, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus." —Philippians 2:4, 5 NIV
Barbara Livesay is an associate superintendent for early childhood education at the Lake Union Conference where her husband, Don Livesay, is president.
- Pastors Wives Minister in Great Bend
- 15 Pastors Spouses Work Together in Phoenix
- Kentucky-Tennessee Conference Ministerial Spouses Retreat
- Ministerial Spouses’ PELC Gathering at Oakwood University
- Andrews University Seminary Spouses in Ministry Retreat
- Michigan Conference Ministry Wives Sleepover
- Southern Union Ministerial Spouses Connect
- Columbia Union Conference Administrators Wives Weekend Retreat
- Lake Union Conference Presidents Cabinet and Spouses Retreat
- Indiana Ministerial Spouses Enjoy Fun-filled Spiritual Retreat
- Michigan Conference Ministry Spouses Group Grows
- Rocky Mountain Conference Ministerial Spouses Blessed by Fellowship
- Alberta Conference Shepherdess
- Allegheny East Conference Shepherdess Retreat
- Kansas-Nebraska Conference ministerial spouses blessed by retreat