Public Evangelism Resources
By Jose Cortes, Jr.,
A few days ago, I walked into our Division President’s office with a question: “What would you like to see happen in North America, when it comes to Evangelism?” His answer was quick, sharp, and brief. He replied: “EVERYTHING.” Pastor Jackson’s reply has stayed with me since that day and I would like for it to stay with you, “EVERYTHING.”
When it comes to Evangelism and Outreach in the Adventist Church across the United States, Canada, Bermuda, Guam and the Micronesian Islands, EVERYTHING goes. Yes, you read it right. If it Reaches, Retains, and Reclaims individuals, families, and communities for Jesus, EVERYTHING and ANYTHING goes, it must be tried and it must be used. After all that’s what Jesus did, and our Church is His Church, and we are His followers.
This means that subscribing to only one or two methods to reach, retain, and reclaim our communities and cities for Jesus is no longer the norm. This means that creative outreach ideas must not be shut down by a few people, who know the power of the infamous phrase, “we don't do that here.” Evangelism needs to stop being just an event or a non-event, which happens during a season, in which only some participate, and become the lifestyle of all Adventists, 24/7, 365 days a year. It means that there is work beyond the four walls of our church buildings; it is perfectly appropriate and smart to minister outside, where most people are. Those who are doing it are seeing the difference.
It means we must continue to enhance what has worked, abandon what is not working, duplicate what is working for others in our context, and find ways to become more innovative and effective in the fulfillment of our mission. Each Adventist disciple of Jesus in North America, should get a chance to experience the joy of sharing Jesus daily and seamlessly, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, or language. For that to happen we must open up many evangelistic avenues and opportunities, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. This means that if you cannot Preach or Teach, there’s got to be a way for you to Reach someone, somehow.
We must await the Second Coming of Jesus being relevant, with all hands on deck, moving in the same direction, without in-fighting, although our methods may differ; remembering that unity in mission is paramount while multiple methods are necessary. Let us continue to pray and work for a spirit of unity and grand-collaboration that extends from our youngest members, pastors, evangelists, administrators, and to our most renown and influential Adventist entities. People, churches, schools, ministries, hospitals, and institutions who are the eyes, the heart, the hands, the feet, and the mouthpiece of Jesus daily and constantly, become blessings to humanity and huge magnets for people. Jesus did that while on this earth, and now calls you, me, and our church to do the same in this so called Post-Christian era.
As we Reach, Retain, and Reclaim North America together, please count on our support, prayers, and love. Our team exists to empower and support you!
Pastor Jose Cortes Jr., is an Associate Ministerial Director and Leads Evangelism for the Adventist Church in North America.
- Compassion Boston - A Historic Evangelistic Journey in the Northeast
- Different at the Expense of God’s Love?
- A Lifestyle of Compassion is Real Evangelism by Jose Cortes Jr.
- Truth that is not Afraid of Innovation!
- Season Of Service, Fueled by Compassion by Roger Hernandez
- A Movement Must Have Momentum
- Offertory Reading Appeal for April 30, 2016
- Day of Hope & Compassion - Columbia, MD Projects Signup Form
- A Grand Collaboration of Effort and Spirit for Mission
- Rules for the Digital Road
- Compassion 10Million
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - January 29, 2016
- Some of Our Churches Are Dying, Why Plant More?
- The Story of The Grace Place
- Compassion and the Christmas Season
- Plant 1000 - #plant1000
- Day of Hope & Compassion - #dayofhope #compassion10m
- Compassion 10 Million - #compassion10m
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - Special Year End Meetings 2015 Edition (Initiatives & Funding)
- A Turning Point in Adventist Evangelism in North America
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - September 30, 2015
- My Visit with a Homeless Pastor
- Seven Days Without - Episode #1
- Seven Days Homeless Video Report
- Seven Days Without - Episode #2
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - August 21, 2015
- Evangelism Shark Tank Update #1 - Pastor Mike Dauncey, Aldergrove Adventist Church, British Columbia Conference, Canada
- A Conspiracy in North America (Part 2)
- Is Your Church Visitor Friendly?
- A Conspiracy in North America
- Two $50,000.00 Grants for Transformational Evangelism Distributed
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - July 23, 2015
- Compassion Boston—10,000 Meals
- Evangelism Shark Tank - Over $120,000.00 Given Out for Innovative Evangelism Initiatives
- Young Adults & College Students ONLY - COMPASSION Austin - Tuesday, June 30, 2015 (8:30 AM - 12:30 PM)
- Evangelism Shark Tank Finalists
- Get Out and Venture Outside the Walls
- Memorial Day Message
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - May 21, 2015
- Planting More SEEDS
- Who Can the Church Love?
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - April 24, 2015
- Global Mission Report: $360,000.00 Distributed Among 50 New Church Plants
- What is Your Church Doing For Community Mothers on Mother's Day Weekend
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - March 18, 2015
- More Compassion in San Antonio by Armando Miranda Jr.
- A Miracle in the Making
- Forever Relevant
- Seven Days of Miracles
- The First Thing You Do at a New Church
- Current Experiences in Personal Evangelism
- Answering the Ultimate Question
- Fishing with Crickets
- NY13 Begins Health Outreach with Let's Move Day
- In Behalf of Some of Us
- Finding Christ in Sin City
- North American Evangelism: Important Information