Public Evangelism Resources
Far too often we have had a loud voice and invisible hands in our community. Season of Service (S.O.S.) is a 40 day service initiative that seeks to demonstrate God’s love in practical ways to the city.
The plan has three simple steps:
1. A daily service activity that any one person can do. This is encouraged in the daily devotional called: My City S.O.S. There are three simple service options every day.
2. A weekend service intensive activity with multiple opportunities to serve as churches, groups, families, and individuals. This usually happens around day 20 of the 40 days.
3. A Sabbath celebration of service in local churches where we affirm and thank volunteers for their service at the end of the 40 days. We invite and pray for civic leaders at that time.
Over the last year, SOS has been tried and tested in churches and cities across North America. Stories like the ones in Jackson MS and West Palm Beach, FL show the blessing churches can be when they are intentional in reaching their community. For example:
- In West Palm Beach, Fl the church painted four houses of their neighbors. The main radio station did a feature presentation on them. As a results, more people are aware that there are congregations in the city that care. See news report here: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=871411599584753&fref=nf
- In Knoxville, TN service providers were given a commemorative pen and thanked for their service. The tears in their eyes was all the reward we needed.
- In Jackson TN, Christmas in March was a program for kids that brought toys, games and a spiritual lesson. See news report here: Season of Service in Jackson, MS http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/28290070/metro-churches-come-together-for-christmas-in-march
These are just some examples of what God can do through the church, when the church shows compassion to the city in which it resides.
Why do it?
- Involves more of your church. Youth especially are excited to serve.
- It’s inexpensive. The books are just $2, but you can also access it through a free app.
- It’s practical. People get their hands dirty. That’s a good thing.
- It works.
Because both Christianity and compassion are best shown than explained.
Pastor Roger Hernandez is the Ministerial and Evangelism Director of the Southern Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
- Compassion Boston - A Historic Evangelistic Journey in the Northeast
- Different at the Expense of God’s Love?
- A Lifestyle of Compassion is Real Evangelism by Jose Cortes Jr.
- Truth that is not Afraid of Innovation!
- Season Of Service, Fueled by Compassion by Roger Hernandez
- A Movement Must Have Momentum
- Offertory Reading Appeal for April 30, 2016
- Day of Hope & Compassion - Columbia, MD Projects Signup Form
- A Grand Collaboration of Effort and Spirit for Mission
- Rules for the Digital Road
- Compassion 10Million
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - January 29, 2016
- Some of Our Churches Are Dying, Why Plant More?
- The Story of The Grace Place
- Compassion and the Christmas Season
- Plant 1000 - #plant1000
- Day of Hope & Compassion - #dayofhope #compassion10m
- Compassion 10 Million - #compassion10m
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - Special Year End Meetings 2015 Edition (Initiatives & Funding)
- A Turning Point in Adventist Evangelism in North America
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - September 30, 2015
- My Visit with a Homeless Pastor
- Seven Days Without - Episode #1
- Seven Days Homeless Video Report
- Seven Days Without - Episode #2
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - August 21, 2015
- Evangelism Shark Tank Update #1 - Pastor Mike Dauncey, Aldergrove Adventist Church, British Columbia Conference, Canada
- A Conspiracy in North America (Part 2)
- Is Your Church Visitor Friendly?
- A Conspiracy in North America
- Two $50,000.00 Grants for Transformational Evangelism Distributed
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - July 23, 2015
- Compassion Boston—10,000 Meals
- Evangelism Shark Tank - Over $120,000.00 Given Out for Innovative Evangelism Initiatives
- Young Adults & College Students ONLY - COMPASSION Austin - Tuesday, June 30, 2015 (8:30 AM - 12:30 PM)
- Evangelism Shark Tank Finalists
- Get Out and Venture Outside the Walls
- Memorial Day Message
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - May 21, 2015
- Planting More SEEDS
- Who Can the Church Love?
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - April 24, 2015
- Global Mission Report: $360,000.00 Distributed Among 50 New Church Plants
- What is Your Church Doing For Community Mothers on Mother's Day Weekend
- Best Practices for Adventist Evangelism - March 18, 2015
- More Compassion in San Antonio by Armando Miranda Jr.
- A Miracle in the Making
- Forever Relevant
- Seven Days of Miracles
- The First Thing You Do at a New Church
- Current Experiences in Personal Evangelism
- Answering the Ultimate Question
- Fishing with Crickets
- NY13 Begins Health Outreach with Let's Move Day
- In Behalf of Some of Us
- Finding Christ in Sin City
- North American Evangelism: Important Information